Dear praying friends,
Well, after getting a call from Chris last night, he has decided after all to stay through the treatment until next Monday. We had been preparing for his return as much as we could, but were praying the whole day that God would lead Chris.
I have felt all along that finishing the oxygen treatment would be the best thing for him. There are dozens of studies (many out of England), which show that oxygen is not harmful at all (it is administered by trained technicians and overseen by medical personnel). Rather, it is one of the best means of promoting healing in the body.
Often, medicines are used to treat symptoms (which isn’t bad, especially if you have some pretty awful symptoms, and the medicine doesn’t harm your immune system while treating those symptoms). HBOT is one of the few treatments that systemically build the body, not only reducing inflammation, but also promoting the growth of new blood cells, and new tissue, among other things. Here are just a few sites reporting on the benefits of using HBOT to help treat MS and other illnesses, such as Autism and Cerebral Palsy:
Even though Chris has been dealing with some losses, mostly due to not getting chiropractic treatment, not using the therapy pool at home, and not getting the normal exercise he does at home (some walking, standing), once he gets home he should be able to work on these areas.
In addition, he should start to see improvements from the HBOT. In many cases, the patient is exhausted during the treatment period, but then sees significant improvement in the weeks following the HBOT treatment period.
It has been hard for Chris to be away from us, understandably, but this HBOT is his best hopes to seeing a halt to the progression, or at least a slowing down of his MS symptoms. They are very advanced at this point, and are affecting him in such significant ways, he really needs this treatment. He is at the point, unless he improves, that he needs home health care.
I thank the Lord that He has given Chris grace to see the treatment through to the end of the session, and would be grateful for your prayers for continued grace for him while away. Your notes on Caring Bridge have been a means of encouragement and blessing to him, but it is still hard for him to be so far away from all that is familiar!
“Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing; so that also at the revelation of His glory, you may rejoice with exultation.” ~I Peter 4:12-13
I know I have taken this verse out of the context of being persecuted for following Christ, but I know that God does long for us to rejoice in Him in the midst of suffering. Our inheritance in Him is richer than anything this life can offer. The forgiveness of our sins is a greater gift than any health or wellbeing we could ever experience! We are truly rich in Christ Jesus! May the Lord remind my dear husband and our whole family of this as we press on by His grace through this valley! May He be greatly glorified in our midst!
Praise for today–we thank our Lord that:
1. Chris has chosen to stay and finish his HBOT treatment
2. The shaking has stopped! He said yesterday that the last two days he hasn’t had the shaking he was experiencing the end of last week.
3. Joseph is a great encourager and steady in his course of helping Chris–God is his strength! Thank you, Joseph!
4. We have one more week to get ready for Chris’ return (Jesse won’t be getting home until late next Monday, and we would be greatly blessed to have his strength when his dad returns)
5. I will get to go to the WorshipGod09 conference I’ve signed up for–God is kind!
6. Your notes on Caring Bridge are a great blessing and encouragement to Chris; thank you for praying and writing!
Prayer for today–we ask the Lord that:
1. Chris would start to see some benefits of the HBOT, even before he gets home and that God would encourage him through the rest of this week.
2. The shaking would not return
3. Chris would be able to get good rest, but also do some things to stay busy so he doesn’t miss home so much, like getting some work done on his books
4. Chris would get good sleep and rest the rest of this week
5. his low temperature problems would lessen, and his normal temperature of 93.5 would be achieved and cause a stabilizing effect
6. Chris would love to be in touch with more friends; you may also email him at Chris@hslda.org –thank you!
In gratitude for your friendship and prayers…we serve a great and gracious God!
Tracy, for Chris and the Klickaclan