As I was driving home from running errands a few weeks back, I took some time to pray for the state of the world and our nation. The advancing forces of darkness which we are witnessing in an unprecedented way around the globe can have an unsettling effect on even the most stalwart in the faith. I am certainly not one of those.
On the drive home that day, my heart was particularly heavy; the sadness I feel for our brethren and many others being persecuted and even killed at the hands of angry, ruthless men brings tears to my eyes. The constant unraveling of recent events shakes my faith that good can come out of the sin and death we see on full, unabashed display in the world around us.
Then, as I was praying, I saw this sight before me…
…a personal gift from my heavenly Father. And this verse came to mind. God’s name will be great among all the nations, regardless of all the unleashing of violence and death which evil men have purposed in their hearts.
I felt so encouraged, I decided to write down some other verses to meditate on when current events unsettle my heart. How I need to remember God’s truth everyday!
Looking for some great words from your heavenly Father to build your courage and hope in His sovereign reign? Try meditating on these words of truth:
- Psalm 45:6 “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom.”
- Psalm 93:1-22 “The LORD reigns, He is clothed with majesty; The LORD has clothed and girded Himself with strength; Indeed, the world is firmly established, it will not be moved. Your throne is established from of old; You are from everlasting.”
- Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.”
- Psalm 22:28 “For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations.”
- Job 12:10 “In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.”
- Hebrews 2:8 “Putting everything in subjection under his feet.” Now in putting everything in subjection to him, he left nothing outside his control. At present, we do not yet see everything in subjection to him.”
- I Chronicles 29:11 “Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all.
If you are feeling discouraged by what you see happening in the world around you, take heart. God is on the throne and He reigns!